Thursday, March 1, 2007

Akhtar, Asif exclusion an eyewash?

Even as injury is being used as the official reason behind the absence of Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif from Pakistan’s World Cup squad, one question that begs to be answered is whether the injury is a cover up. With the ICC set to introduce target testing at the World Cup, it begs the question, is the injury a cover up to avoid Shoaib and Asif from a possible life ban if they tested positive at the World Cup. “I still maintain my innocence and why would I eat anything like this? I have bowled at a record 100 miles per hour. I have achieved enough for myself and for the country. Why would I jeopardise myself for 13 nanograms? People who have been caught have had levels of 150-200 nanograms. If I had to take something, then it would have been for those levels, not for mere 13 nanograms,” said Shoaib Akhtar, professing his innocence to claims of having tested positive for the banned performance enhancing drug Nandrolone. “I don't know about these things. I was injured and might have taken something wrong,” said young fast bowler Mohammad Asif. This ugly spectre of drug abuse was haunting Pakistani cricket. The two star cricketers had been picked for the World Cup but were quickly shipped away to London. The aim was to get the drugs flushed out as the ICC are scheduled to use target testing. Nandrolone is an anabolic steroid related to the male sex-hormone Testosterone. The steroid helps rebuild tissues that have become weak due to injury. They also promote the development of muscle tissue in the body, with an associated increase in strength and power. Discontinuing the use of the substance may not guarantee the test being negative. Metabolites of nandrolone have been found in the urine of some athletes after 2 years after last use. All this would have played on the athletes’ mind with Akhtar preferring the safe option of giving himself a 50% chance of playing the World Cup. “I have an injury and I'd informed the board. I've 50% chance of playing the World Cup,” Akhtar had announced. With the WADA and the ICC ready to hit it where it hurts, the PCB has pushed the bowlers behind the curtain. But when it's team goes out to play in the World Cup, all this is bound to hamper their performance.

courtesy:Hindu


No comments: