Tuesday, March 6, 2007

I'm naturally aggressive: Sreesanth

MUMBAI, Feb 21: Sreesanth is living a dream of representing India in World Cup. "It is more like a reality now," he says. In his fledgling cricket career, the Kerala paceman, who turned 24 a fortnight ago, has grabbed the headlines not only for his impressive bowling but also his antics on the field. Be it the dance after smacking South African pacer Andre Nel for a six or glaring at Sachin Tendulkar during a Challenger Trophy match or the seam position, Sreesanth is entertainment personified. He was in his elements during a freewheeling chat with TOI soon after unveiling the team's Nike World Cup uniform on Tuesday.
Excerpts:
Your record in One-dayers has not been that good as in Tests...
I have been hitting the right areas and been in good rhythm. As long as I am able to do that, I don't have any problems. You've got to accept that there will be good days and bad days. Which doesn't mean Sreesanth is a super cricketer one day and a bad player in the next. I've got to take it in my stride and work on the positives. I am still learning.
How important is aggression for you?
For a fast bowler it is important. Aggression comes naturally to me. Maybe, it was because I used to play cricket with my brother — who is 12 years older to me — and his friends. I celebrated every dismissal and it stayed with me throughout. Look, I play for myself. And I give my best in every game. I may lie to everybody else, but not to myself .
You look very animated while returning to you bowling run-up ...
Well, that is my routine. I've been doing it since my under-19 days. I say various things, 'I'm the best', 'relax', 'I can get him out'... I never walk back to my run-up with my head down. I always keep my spine straight.
But does it work?
It gives me joy and success follows joy.
Isn't it a batsman's game?
It is a cricketer's game.
That's how you look at it?
That's how you should look at it.
Did you watch the video of your dance after hitting Andre Nel for a six at the Wanderers?
I saw it on Google and laughed at myself. I normally don't hit sixes. Actually, I was enacting a horse ride, saying, 'I want to ride you'. All I wanted to tell him was 'I'm not scared of you' .
Take us through the incident involving Sachin Tendulkar in a Challenger match last year when you glared at him on you follow through?
Cricket is a legend and Tendulkar is God. But even if my dad comes to bat against me, I'll be Sreesanth, the fast bowler. All respect will be outside the field not inside it. I"ll never regret the incident (involving Tendulkar). I even talked to Sachin paaji about it. Besides, I didn't use any abusive language.
Have you been working on your batting?
Yes. I have been trying to improve my defence. The objective is to stay put and rotate the strike.

No comments: