Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Samuels eyeing match-winning role

DANIEL TOWN, March 6: Marlon Samuels may be at the centre of an ICC and police investigation into alleged links with an Indian bookmaker, but his main aim right now is to become a match-winner for West Indies. Samuels revealed that West Indies captain Brian Lara has called for some of the other players to put their hands up and become match winners, and he is intent on grabbing his chance. "I am aware of it, the captain spoke to me, and he said he is looking for match winners, and I told him I have no problem doing that," Samuels said. "The captain asked for match winners and he is giving me the chance, and I'm relishing the opportunity. I see this as hard work plus opportunity now paying off for me." Samuels has had some success in the last three limited-overs internationals West Indies have won. His scores have been 100 not out against Pakistan, 98 against India, and 100 against Kenya on Monday at the Trelawny Multi Purpose Stadium. "Batting early, it gives me a chance to assess the conditions and the pitch and pace myself," he said. "It's difficult to score a lot of runs batting at number seven and eight. I love batting early. You get to express yourself and set up your team. "In the last World Cup I went in late and played only one game against Kenya, so this World Cup I am hoping I can get the opportunities to do well for my team, and put my best foot forward and ensure that my team wins. "I am not going in over-confident. I am going in as myself, backing myself, and staying positive." Samuels says he is filled with a level of pride when he does well and West Indies win. "You really can't ask for more than this, and it's a good feeling to score a hundred coming from a lot of distractions," he said in obvious reference to his recent troubles. "I've had a lot of distractions in my career, and I know how to take the negatives and turn them into positives. "The greatest thing was the support I have received from the people - both in Kingston and in the countryside. It was delightful." Samuels has another chance to be a West Indies match-winner, when they face India in their second warm-up match on Friday at the Trelawny Stadium.
courtesy:timesofindia

No comments: