Tuesday, March 6, 2007

We're peaking at the right time: Yuvraj Singh

NEW DELHI, Feb 20: India's middle-order batsman Yuvraj Singh was injured during the Champions Trophy campaign last year, playing a game of kho-kho at a practice session. The freak knee injury gave rise to fears that the stylish southpaw could miss the World Cup. But Yuvi was determined to get back to peak fitness before the World Cup and get some matches under his belt. He returned during the West Indies series at home, and took his time to settle down. But his unbeaten 95 against Sri Lanka in last match of the series at Visakhapatnam showed that he is back to his best. When TOI spoke to Yuvraj, he sounded optimistic about India's chances in the World Cup. Excerpts from the interview:
How does it feel to get runs after recovering from the knee injury?
It feels great. After recovering from the injury, I needed some time in the middle. In fact, both Greg (Chappell) and Rahul (Dravid) spoke to me about how I needed to bat up the order. They had suggested that No.4 would be the ideal slot for me. I am glad that I could make some runs for my team in the last match before the World Cup.
What exactly went through your mind when you went to bat in the last game against Sri Lanka?
As I said, I needed sometime in the middle and the initial target was to make 30. It was something I tried doing in the Goa match as well. Somehow, it didn't work out. But I was not too worried. In the next match, when I again got the opportunity, I didn't want to miss it. In fact, when on 29, I was a bit hesitant and consumed 5 deliveries to reach 30 and once I was in the thirties, I got back my confidence and started timing the ball well. Thereafter, I enjoyed every bit of it at the crease.
Do you have any injury worries now?
Honestly, not at all. Earlier, I was a little concerned... didn't know how I would feel when stretching for a catch or stopping a ball. Even though I played a couple of club level matches, I could only test my fitness level in my first comeback game for India. Then again, in Kolkata, I had a slight niggle in my back and I went for a routine check-up. Fortunately, the scan report was okay. Now, I am completely fit.
How is Team India shaping up for the World Cup?
We all are very excited that we have started to peak at the right time. To start with, most of our top batsmen are among runs and almost every one in the team is hungry for big scores. From the bowlers perspective, Zaheer (Khan), Ajit (Agarkar), Munaf (Patel), Sreesanth and Harbhajan (Singh) are in tremendous form and have bowled according to the field. So, the balance between batting and bowling is our main strength.
What about the fielding standards?
We are working very hard on our fielding these days. We may not be the best fielding side in the world but we have improved a lot in last couple of months. We hope to set a good standard in the World Cup.
How do you rate the other teams in the World Cup?
When you are playing such a big event, you cannot take any side for granted. The Australians may have lost a few matches but you cannot really underestimate them. South Africa, of course, is in remarkable shape and so are New Zealand and England. Even Pakistanis are a capable team. But the dark horse of the tournament will be West Indies.
What was the impact of Ganguly's return?
It boosted the morale of the team. Sourav is a top cricketer for India. Now, of course, he has worked hard on his fitness level and like always, he is hungry for runs. The most striking aspect about his comeback is the way he is batting now. At the same time, he is bowling well in matches and giving 100 per cent on the field.
In the last over of the match at Vizag, did Ganguly tell you to round off the match in that over because he was suffering from cramps?
No. Sourav didn't say anything to me. It was a moment when I really started hitting the ball well and I enjoyed myself.
You have been a great finisher for India in the past. What are your plans for the World Cup?
The main plan is to work on the job given to me by the team management, which has always kept faith in me. Mind it, cricket is not an individual sport. If I am able to finish a match today, there has to be someone on the other side of the wicket. It's nice to talk about it and say you are a great finisher but there are other members in the team like Dhoni, who have done it quite often. In then end, when you are a middle-order batsman, one should ideally stay till the end to win a match for the team. In West Indies, my role will not be different. The good thing is that we there last year and we know the conditions well. Once we reach there, the focus will be on acclimatisation. In fact, the home series against West Indies and Sri Lanka have helped us tremendously to get our rhythm back.
courtesy:timesofindia

No comments: