Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Over the years, I have learnt things the hard way: Agarkar

MUMBAI, Feb 26: Having made his World Cup debut at the age of 21, Ajit Agarkar is philosophical while talking about his chances in the big tournament. The experience of being there twice, including the bitter one of being made to warm the benches the last time in South Africa, has turned him into a determined man. He is keen to make it count in the Caribbean but the excitement is laced with skepticism. The 29-year-old Mumbai player had no qualms in admitting he was "as nervous as any other guy" during a chat with TOI .
Excerpts...
This would be your third World Cup. How does it feel?
When you play your first World Cup as a 21-year-old you don't even think whether you will get an opportunity to play the next time or not. I was a part of the World Cup squad the last time, but couldn't get to play a single game. That was disappointing though we did so well in the tournament. But I am here again and looking forward. Hopefully, I will get to play some games.
This time round you look a certainty. Let's look at it this way. It's a World Cup, which comes once in four years, so obviously it is special. But at the end of the day I would take it as just another tournament, one where each cricketer wants to leave a mark. I know I may have a role to play and I'm happy about it. It's better that you rather take the responsibility than sit on the sidelines.
Having played in the West Indies earlier should benefit you...
I have had two good tours there. On both occasions I was part of the ODI team and have had good success. That does give me good confidence but all that is in the past. I will need to work hard and bowl well. We had been there recently and that is an advantage. But over the years I've learnt things the hard way.
Will the Mumbai-like weather in the Caribbean help you?
Last time we played there it was in May-June and much later earlier before that. Now, it's March so I don't know how different the conditions would be. But the ball does swing there. In such a tournament you need to bowl the right line and length because the margin for error is so little. Whether you bowl with the new ball or the old, you still have to hit the right spot.
What do you prefer: bowling with — the new ball or the old one?
There is both advantage and disadvantage bowling with the new ball. But whether I bowl with the new or old ball, it doesn't really matter to me.
Unlike some pacers of the team, you seem comfortably placed. No unwanted pressure to trouble you?
I totally disagree. I am not at all comfortable. Try and understand that I was desperate for this chance as I wanted to play another World Cup. I haven't actually done anything in my past World Cups and I am as nervous as any other guy. I am extremely keen to do much better this time and I am sure that my experience will come in handy in tough situations. It's nice to be a part of the World Cup once again.
courtesy:timesofindia

No comments: